We developed the concept of an interactive and immersive museum experience that happens inside a building, and outside in the landscape. The proposal would explore adaptation and tell the region’s key stories through a mix of experiences designed to maximise appeal to a range of potential visitor markets.
The centrepiece will be a museum / visitor centre with a large exhibition space that presents:
- an interactive timeline, static exhibits, touch screens and a simulator to drive mining equipment;
- a 180 degree theatrette showing two customised stories of the region using high tech visual and audio effects;
- regionally themed escape rooms to share customised regional stories as challenges; and
- regional visitor information area, retail / gift shop and café.
The second pavilion within the overall building would deliver corporate services and a regionally themed function space. It is also proposed to deliver a suite of additional experiences that includes:
- a regionally decorated and themed restaurant providing 50 to 70 seats across indoor and outdoor dining spaces;
- a regionally themed aerial obstacle course that reveals a regional story through the inclusion of obstacles that themes as diverse as Aboriginal mythical creatures, disused agricultural, mining and renewable energy equipment to climb through, swing or jump from;
- a regionally themed splash park featuring elements from renewable energy systems (eg. wind turbines, solar panels and micro hydro systems) to interpret renewable energy, responsible use of water and recycling;
- a regionally themed 3D maze with a challenge, such as an explorer trying to find their way to fertile lands, or miner lost in an underground labyrinth trying to find the shaft to the surface, or a sustainability entrepreneur seeking a way to make their invention work, with the maze built and decorated to reflect the story; and
- regionally themed short stay accommodation (initially 12 tiny houses) potentially themed to Wanaruah people, various equine sectors, cattle dogs, mining, renewable energy etc. using photos, artworks and objects – like a museum in a home.
We developed a very detailed concept, fully costed it, prepared visitation forecasts, an economic and social impact assessment, governance and funding model. We also prepared a prospectus and a promotional video at https://f.io/JTBvazIL
The client is currently sourcing funding.